Results of 2016 Great American Cleanup in Lexington
- 253 events held.
- 3374 volunteers.
- 6595 volunteer hours.
- 216 government employees (pd/in-kind).
- 99 community groups who participated.
- 75441 Pounds of litter, debris & bulky waste collected.
(One 30 gallon bag of litter = est. 20 lbs.)
- 815 Miles of streets, roads, highways cleaned & beautified.
- 459 Acres of parks/public lands/open spaces cleaned and beautified.
- 13 Miles of hiking/biking/nature trails cleaned and beautified.
- 28 playgrounds/community recreation areas built, cleaned, restored, constructed.
- 20 Miles of creeks, lakes, shorelines cleaned.
- 14.1 miles of wetlands cleaned & improved.
- 6 illegal dump sites cleaned.
REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE:
- 11 junk cars removed/collected for recycling.
- 523 pounds of food collected for use.
- 71 Pounds of plastic (PET) collected for recycling.
- 100 Pounds of glass collected for recycling.
- 73 Pounds of aluminum/steel collected for recycling.
- 100400 Pounds of paper collected for recycling.
- 43 tires collected for recycling: (1 tire=24 lbs.)
- 2 Pounds of batteries collected for recycling.
- 667 Pounds of electronics recycled.
- 54 garden, landscape, xeriscape and green space areas created or improved.
- 6 community gardens planted/replanted.
- 3061 trees planted.
- 560 flower & bulbs planted.
- 32 Bags of invasive weeds collected.
- 11 education workshops/community outreach presentations held
- 256 adults and 55 children children in attendance.
(at above workshops)
- 20 general awareness events held:
(e.g. litter free events, booths @ events, fairs, festivals, etc…)
- 556 people in community audience:
(at above general awareness events)